January 25, 2021
By Canada Immigration
Information technology and professional business know-how once again proved to be among the best ways for immigrants to take up permanent residence in Canada last year as jobs in the retail sector dried up due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada data reveals the top 10 jobs for new permanent residents to Canada in 2020 were:
- Software engineers and designers;
- Food service supervisors;
- Information systems analysts and consultants;
- Computer programmers and interactive media developers;
- Administrative assistants (excluding legal or medical administrative assistants);
- Financial auditors and accountants;
- Restaurant and food service managers;
- Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations, and;
- University professors and lecturers.
Among the top four jobs of 2020 are software engineers and designers, information systems analysts and consultants, and computer programmers and interactive media developers.
That’s not a surprise. Those IT jobs were among the top ones the previous year as well.
But in 2019 those jobs ranked a bit lower than they did last year. In the year before the pandemic, the top job for new permanent residents to Canada was food service supervisor.