Each week Get In The Know scours the web for news and events related to immigration and newcomer settlement and employment and shares its findings here!
The news and events focus on what’s happening in Surrey and surrounding communities but, when relevant, you will also find news and events at a provincial and national level. To stay current with newcomer issues, visit each week and subscribe to our weekly bulletin.
Employees entitled to civil, respectful, dignified workplaces
November 5, 2020
By Jeremy Hainsworth, Burnaby Now
Q&A: Michael Bach makes the business case for diversity and inclusion
B.C.-born author writes previously untold stories of South Asian immigrants
November 9, 2020
by Valerie Leung, Prince George Matters
Marco Mendicino: Immigration creates the jobs and growth that Canada needs
November 6, 2020
By Marco Mendicino, Vancouver Sun
Black Canadians fought racism, discrimination to serve in Second World War
Canada’s planned immigration levels for the future
Federal government plans to bring in more than 1.2M immigrants in next 3 years Social Sharing
October 30, 2020
By , CBC
S.A.H.A.R.A. Program for Men – Info Session (Online)
Gain new skills and work experience to build the life you want in Canada with this online training.
We take a supported employment approach to help men facing multiple barriers find their place in the labour market. The S.A.H.A.R.A. program allows you to earn while you learn and offers:
- Participation allowance and tuition fee support
- Individual and group workshops and one-to-one coaching (counselling, life and employability skills)
- Basic computer and digital literacy training
- Free occupational skills training
- Opportunities for paid work experience (workboots provided if required)
- $250 bonus for completing three months’ of employment or post-secondary education!
Are you interested in joining this program or want to refer someone? In this info session, you will learn more details about the S.A.H.A.R.A. program and get the opportunity to ask questions. To attend the info session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the program, please visit www.dcrs.ca/sahara.
Online Tech and IT Event
Are you looking for IT or tech opportunities?
Save the date of this virtual technology and IT event for career roundtables, info sessions and hiring fairs.
More information to come soon.
Business Plan Writing Circle — Immigrant Entrepreneur Program
Want to start your own small business?
We’ll guide your entrepreneurial journey! DIVERSEcity’s Immigrant Entrepreneur Program is a self-employment training program, networking and support system, and business incubation platform rolled into one.
1. One-to-One Support
Get personalized, ongoing support from our self-employment specialists
2. Business Plan Writing Circle (8 sessions)
Saturdays, 10 am – 1 pm via Zoom, December 5, 12, 19, 2020 & January 9 to February 6, 2020.
- Explore business ideas, and define your products or services
- Identify your target customers, do market research and competitor analysis
- Learn how to write a business plan and develop marketing, sales, operational and
financial plans, including cash flow projections
- Learn about business structures and the business registration process
3. Business Startup Bootcamp (10 sessions)
Saturdays, 10 am – 1 pm via Zoom, February 13 to April 17, 2021
- Present your business pitch “Dragons’ Den” style!
- Start creating business operation processes, such as product development, branding,
marketing, sales, customer service, production, logistics and accounting procedures
- Start selling at local marketplaces or online!