Each week Get In The Know scours the web for news and events related to immigration and newcomer settlement and employment and shares its findings here!
The news and events focus on what’s happening in Surrey and surrounding communities but, when relevant, you will also find news and events at a provincial and national level. To stay current with newcomer issues, visit each week and subscribe to our weekly bulletin.
Global talent is pivoting north to Canada
The Role of Psychological Safety in Diversity and Inclusion
New immigrants performing better in Canadian labour market
The Future of Work Requires Inclusion
July 1, 2020
By Melissa Henley, CMS Wire (more…)
6 Ways To Cultivate A Workplace Culture That Inspires Diversity And Inclusion
How to ensure racialized employees don’t feel tokenized in the workplace
By Global News (more…)
How to implement a bottom-up approach and improve diversity
By Construction News (more…)
S.A.H.A.R.A. Online Training Program for Men – Info Session (Online)
Gain new skills and work experience to build the life you want in Canada with this online training.
We take a supported employment approach to help men facing multiple barriers find their place in the labour market. The S.A.H.A.R.A. program allows you to earn while you learn and offers:
- Participation allowance and tuition fee support
- Individual and group workshops and one-to-one coaching (counselling, life and employability skills)
- Basic computer and digital literacy training
- Free occupational skills training
- Opportunities for paid work experience (workboots provided if required)
- $250 bonus for completing three months’ of employment or post-secondary education!
Are you interested in joining this program or want to refer someone? In this info session, you will learn more details about the S.A.H.A.R.A. program and get the opportunity to ask questions. To attend the info session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the program, please visit www.dcrs.ca/sahara.
Financial Customer Service Basics (Online)
Learn the skills and knowledge necessary to enter the financial services industry with this four-day online course offered by DIVERSEcity’s Skills Training Centre.
Financial Customer Service Basics
Gain the skills and knowledge necessary to enter the financial services industry, including cheque cashing, cash handling and balancing procedures, understand Canadian banking policies, procedures and compliance.
Online courses are:
- Taught by industry experts who teach the latest in-demand skills
- Open to all jobseekers (Canadian citizens, immigrants and temporary residents)
- Fee-based (subsidies may be available through WorkBC)
- Taught via ZOOM video conferencing. A free Zoom link will be emailed to registered students.
- Students require internet access and a computer/smartphone with microphone, camera and speaker.
4-day course fee: $350
For more information, call 604-547-2010, email: email@example.com or go to https://www.dcrs.ca/event-details/financial-customer-service-basics-online-3/
Preparing for Job Interviews: A Free Virtual Workshop
About this Event
Join us at this workshop where, with the help of a WorkBC Career Advisor, you’ll learn the fundamentals of giving a great job interview. Learning Tasks include:
- Prepare for the interview
- Make a positive first impression and leave a positive lasting impression
- Answer Common Interview Questions
- Answer Behavioral Interview Questions
- Follow up after the interview
All jobseekers are welcome. Register now!
Prior to the event, you will be sent a Zoom link to the email address you supplied during registration.